My Setup at Home
This post will serve as an introduction to others that will follow. I will try to remember to update this publication to add a reference to the new ones but I can't promise I won't forget. Meanwhile, feel free to use the tags at the end to scroll through related articles.
Let's begin #100DaysToOffload publication no. 2, shall we?
What computer-like devices do I use and what do I do with them?
Let's try not to forget anything:
- personal laptop
- work laptop (currently home because of the pandemic, otherwise it usually stays at the office)
- tablet (iPad Air 3 with Apple Pencil)
- media consumption (Plex, YouTube)
- note-taking, annotating documents, sketching
- accessing my recipes (I use Paprika)
- writing, sometimes
- Raspberry Pi 3 model B+
- Home Assistant*
- Monitoring of the other things*
- Synology NAS (DS216play)*
- Backups (personal laptop and Raspberry Pi)
- “smart” TV
- Play Plex content
- “smart” speaker
- Play smartphone music or smart TV sound
- a set of connected light bulbs, plugs and wall switches*
- Automate some things like “don't kill your eyes in the bathroom at night but see where you pee during the day”
At this point, you should have a global view of the devices I own and use daily. This will be a valuable reference for later posts when I talk about how these devices and services integrate. I'll especially focus on items marked with an asterisk (*).
This post feels slightly hollow but I consider it's necessary to properly introduce the next ones and give a bit of context. Hopefully, the following articles will be denser.
The next story will probably be about my Synology NAS and what I use it for.
- How Many Devices Is Too Many? by Kev Quirk